Meter Jam, a campaign started by three Mumbaikars who can't take the 'No' anymore and have taken the willing step to strike back and thus lead thousands of supporters and followers not only across the city, but spreading across the country. Its simple - Say No to autos and taxis on 12th August because they say no to whenever they want.
Autos and Taxis being public services need to be in favour of everyone, not only in their self interest. In the manner they act, it seems they are the working force with the most important job and people have nothing urgent, no emergency and are happy to adjust according to their liking. They strike whenever they want, to have their demands fulfilled and in their fights we the people have to bear with them every time.
With the corruption, politicians and government who else to be blamed?
WE! When do we stand up for ourselves instead of just complaining every time how flawed the system is?
Some common problems (of the many) include -
- Rise of fare which a passenger unnecessarily has to pay for the
- Despite the fare, refusal of hiring not only in the start but also anytime in the journey
- Refusal to go beyond certain points due to any reason ranging from traffic to the driver's self interest
- Demand of excess fare from the (already high) meter claiming meter is not working or in the name of the system
- Women abuse and seeking advantage from children
- Ganging up and threatening passengers in compelling with their own demands.
- and the list goes on...
So this is an attempt to put a halt to this on going non-sense. As the old saying goes its time to fight fire with fire. If they can strike for their own means, we the public can also do the same with more power and enthusiasm.
NOTE - This has nothing to do with violence as it is definitely not promoted. In a polite manner to say no to all autos and taxis (just like slapping on their faces with just a cunning smile) on 12th August to teach them a lesson and let them know that the city and the country will continue to live on with or without them.
So for success of this campaign words aren't enough, we need everyone's support. Please no laziness or excuses. It is for a better tomorrow.
Go check out http://www.meterjam.com/ now! Spread the word!
Be the change you want to see!